The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 are the primary regulations used to control exposure to asbestos in the UK.
The regulations cover a wide range of activities and place legal duties on organisations and individuals to prevent and minimise the potential risks of exposure to asbestos fibres.
Four key sections of the Regulations are:
Regulation 4 – Duty to Manage
The ‘Duty to Manage’ asbestos requires any person who is in control of a non-domestic building (Duty Holder) to carry out an assessment to find asbestos in their property. This is normally achieved by conducting an asbestos management survey. Once the asbestos survey has been completed the Duty Holder should produce an asbestos register which describes and shows where asbestos has been found. This register should be kept up to date and provided to any person whose work has the potential to disturb the asbestos.
The Duty to Manage also requires the Duty Holder has a system in place to prevent damage and exposure to the asbestos. There is no legal requirement to remove asbestos-containing materials, however there is a legal requirement to assess your property for asbestos-containing materials and to manage it in good condition.
Call JB-Monitor Ltd on 0161 359 3684 or 01492 536444 for additional guidance on the Control of Asbestos Regulations and how it may affect your organisation.
Regulations 5 & 6 – Asbestos Risk Assessment
- The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 requires employers to carry out risk assessments to establish if their work is likely to disturb asbestos-containing materials.
- Employers may need to carry out asbestos refurbishment and asbestos demolition surveys before work starts.
- Procedures for working as well as the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and Respirable Protective Equipment (RPE) should be established prior to work starting.
Call JB-Monitor Ltd on 0161 359 3684 or 01492 536444 for asbestos refurbishment surveys and asbestos demolition surveys.
Regulation 10 – Asbestos Awareness Training
- Asbestos Awareness Training is a legal requirement for all people who could be exposed to asbestos during their work.
- Asbestos awareness training is given to all builders and trades people including IT and telecommunication installers, building surveyors, architects, planners and designers and property professionals.
Call JB-Monitor Ltd on 0161 359 3684 or 01492 536444 for more information or to arrange an asbestos awareness course for you and your colleagues.